Tuesday 8 May 2007

I'm not alone! Bradford All-Day

Hey! Someone read my blog! I know coz they left a comment for me! Thanks Gary & Jan - it's nice to know I'm not just writing to myself.

Had a quiet night in on Friday, then up with t'little one early Saturday morning - he likes to be up before 7am - no idea where he gets this from, certainly not me!Then hand-over to Trisha and off I went to Bradford for the Latin XCes All-Dayer. I was booked to teach at 6pm but wanted to get some of our new flyers out on the desk so they'd be there all day and also wanted to hang out generally and do a few classes with other teachers. I spend most of my salsa time teaching myself these days that it's nice when I have the opportunity to go and catch a class with someone else.

First up was Nicolai and Helena with an intro to Cuban Salsa. I always enjoy classes with N & H (they were amongst my first teachers when I started) and they don't seem to mind too much when I heckle from the sidelines. Gotta say actually, that Nicolai in particular has had a massive influence on my salsa teaching career - starting when he didn't show up to teach class one Monday and I had to step in and help Caroline out with a routine. Over the next few months he encouraged me to do more and more, and continues as a source of inspiration for me.Anyway back on subject. I did a cross-body turn pattern lesson with Ces and Kerry (which I've since forgotten, shame, coz I enjoyed it at the time - that much I can remember) and then caught a Bachata lesson with them in the afternoon, before leaving to collect Trisha for our dips class. A year ago I'd used to hate Bachata but I had a turning point on holiday last year whilst watching a couple of friends. They were so in sync, the way their bodies were snaking together, it opened up a whole new world for me, that I've since been quietly warming to. There was one particular partner in Saturday's lesson (you know who you are!) that I just seemed to click with and we really seemed to find the root of the dance between us (not that there was a great deal of rom between us - it was Bachata, after all).

And then our Dips Class...We're always a little bit wary of teaching dips etc as there is so much potential for injury when not done well, and we never know what sort of standard we're going to get in the class. As usual there was a real mixture of abilities, but most seemed to be picking up on the essence of what we tried to put across, and to my knowledge no injuries ensued. Which is nice. We had three types that we wanted to teach and they were all well received. The first was a slightly complicated kind of triple combination that we spent quite a lot of time on, but it was nice to see pretty much everyone doing it well. I've gotta say we got the LOUDEST and longest cheer at the end of it that I've ever experienced. Thank you all! Hopefully Ces will have us back later in the year to do some more?
If you see me, let me know; "Deej - I read your blog!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Evening Deej and Trisha,

Here is a summary of Ces and Kerry turn pattern from what we can remember. The ending may not be quite right, but you get the idea. :o)

Gary and Jan


Ces and Kerry turn pattern - 5th May 2007
-----------------------------------------

1. Cross Body Lead with lady doing an inside turn.

2. (On 1,2,3) Man stays where he is and leads lady through in a walk with his left hand (so that Man has his back to her).
(On 5,6,7) Man turns right to face Lady. Man swaps hands so that Man's right hand to Lady's right hand.

3. Man gives the Lady a double spin.

4. The "Stepping back" move. Man's right hand is in Lady's right hand and both right hands are on the lady's shoulder. Man's left hand in Lady's left hand. Man is behind Lady. Man and Lady step back 3 steps together.

5. (On 1,2,3) In double handed hold Man gives the Lady a double handed turn.
(On 5,6,7) While they are still in double hand hold both man and lady turn together, so they end up facing the same way.

6. Man put the Lady into a double handed Titanic. Man is behind Lady. Man moves from the right of the Lady behind her back to her left hand side, still holding her in Titanic move.

7. Man breaks forward on his Left. Lady stepping forward on Left to Man on 1. He has his left hand high and puts the lady into a wrap round the waist. Then Lady continues to turn on (2,3). Man letting go with his left hand until the lady is unable to turn anymore.
On (5) Both turn half turn to face opposite sides. Man changing hands so his left hand grabs the Lady's right wrist. On (6,7) spin lady into open 1.5 turn. Man does turn.