Monday 30 April 2007

Where's Luca?

For years I tended to steer clear of proud dads. You know the sort - those who've got kids and just can't stop talking about them. However, I remember once, years ago, in my first job, there was an exception to this. I can't remember the fella's name now as it was well over 20 years ago but I was working with a bloke who had young children and whilst he never pushed conversations about them on anyone, when he did talk about them his face used to light up and he became so animated, so filled with life. I can't actually remember his face but I'll never forget the expression I used to see on it. I think it's kind of the expression I have on mine these days, when I think of Luca and his latest "cute" moment.
We play a game with him after bath, where we cover his face with a towel and ask "Where's Luca?" He then pulls the towel off his face and beams at us with a big toothy grin.
Occasionally I'll carry him sat up on my shoulders (holding tight to his feet). Obviously I can't see his face whilst he's up there, but Trisha tells me he sit's up like he's king of the world, proudly sat on his dad's shoulders. I was carrying him like this during the weekly shop last weekend, when I felt his weight shift sideways. And next thing I know, there he was, leaning down to one side, craned over looking at me in the face with this huge smile. He then sat up straight and a couple of seconds later, shifted his weight again, this time to the other side. I turned my head, and there he was again,leaning down the other way now. Talk about cute! He repeated it a few times until he got bored (he is only 14 months old, after all) and his attention went elsewhere.
On Sunday afternoon we had a trip to the park and I was carrying him on my shoulders again. I had an idea and wondered if he'd understand."Where's Luca?" I asked loudly, looking around. Sure enough, I felt his weight lean and there he was, with a big grin as he leant over to look me in the eye. Makes me go all warm and mushy just thinking about it.

No comments: